Did you know old worn-out t-shirts and leggings make the softest underwear?
Here are a few tips to get you started on making new undies from old clothes.
- Read the pattern requirements and be clear on the stretch requirements you will need.
- Go through your old worn out clothes and pick the ones that feel like they would be nice undies.
- Check your fabric content on the labels - you are looking for all natural fibres like cotton or with some spandex.
- For the gusset you want to have 100% cotton for the gusset.
- Do not pick the fabrics just on colour or patterns - they must feel right. You can always make boring plain fabrics into classy sexy undies with fancy elastics or by adding lace.
- Check the stretch percentage of your fabric to see it matches that of the pattern. If it doesn’t you can adjust the pattern or sew a larger or smaller size. This will take a bit of trial and error.
- When recycling old clothes try to use the less worn fabric. For example with old t-shirts I totally avoid using the fabric from under the arms - its usually very frayed or has holes.
8. Save your 100% Cotton scraps for gussets.