We are now in week 6 of the Bra a week challenge!
This week I made a swimsuit! I have a hotel break coming up with a lovely pool. None of the swimsuits I made in 2020 fit the bump so time to make some!
I decided on the Mojito swimsuit pattern by the French designer, Fitiyoo Lingerie Patterns. Being my first attempt at this pattern and designer I need to treat this swimsuit as a a wearable toile to see if the shape and fit work for me. The pattern as one and two piece options, I made a one piece. I used some green lycra from my stash as the main fabric and lined with beige mesh.
I choose this pattern for the bust darts and the under bust elastic. I think these design features will give my bust round shape and not flatten it! Darts are what give a garment shape, a pattern with no darts will just stretch one dimensional piece of fabric across my chest, if I size up its just a bigger piece of fabric. With darts the one dimensional becomes three dimensional giving space for the chest.
If you've been reading along each week you'll have noticed my pregnancy adjustments are size up in the cup and add length in the front bodice by 20cm for the bump. The front piece is then gathered down matching the length of the front with the back piece.
Overall the suit sewed up nicely and the instructions were clear. I really liked that all the seams were enclosed meaning it is just as neat on the inside as the outside. Other design features I like are the scoop at the back - I think I may alter it to a sharp V next time for a bit of glamour!
Fit wise I am very happy overall. I think the fit is perfect for my bust, bump and hips. I checked the strap length before sewing and shortened them by about 2 inches. The only tweek I would make is to tighten the underarm elastic - it gapes ever so slightly.
So now all that's left is to jump in! I will report back to tell if it goes swimmingly!
Materials I used:
2. Swimsuit elastic
3. Emerald green lycra (from my stash)
4. Beige mesh (from my stash)